For an upcoming project I will be working on (via DJCase for the USA National Phenology Network) there will be a heavy visualization component. I’m hooked on, and am hoping to make use of, D3 for all the visualizations. While putting together the proposal to try to land the work I wrote several bar graphs and bubbly sorts of charts but some of it remained (and remains) greek to me. So in an effort to get my head more completely wrapped around joins, layouts, etc. I dug around for some potentially interesting data (Consumer Price Indexes, Cost of Living Index from the most recent census) and dreamed up a, perhaps not practical, way of visualizing that information.
I need to post-process what I learned (and clean up the code) so hopefully I’ll write more about it later but for now here’s a link to what came out the other side.